We all know the music industry is tough to break into, and even tougher to make a living out of. Many independent musicians juggle day jobs just to keep the lights on, and no matter how much you love music, there are days where it feels like the battle is too uphill. But even on the toughest days when you feel like giving up, these quotes will remind you why you're following your passion.
1. "Being in a band turns you into a child and keeps you there." - Thom Yorke
2. "My whole thing is to inspire, to better people, to better myself forever in this thing that we call rap, this thing that we call hip-hop." - Kendrick Lamar
3. "I'm just happy and proud to be playing music every day." - Justin Vernon of Bon Iver
4. "Everyone who makes music is a good collaborator at their foundation because in order to make music, you have to connect to it in a way that other people can't." - Jay-Z
5. "Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
6. "You just do what you can and you have as much fun as possible." - Frank Ocean
7. "Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music." - Jimi Hendrix
Sam Friedman is an electronic music producer and singer-songwriter based in Brooklyn, NY. His music blends experimental ambience with indie-driven dance music. In addition to pursuing his own music, he is a New Music Editor for Unrecorded and is passionate about music journalism. Check out his music and follow him on Twitter @nerveleak.