From managing day jobs and a performance schedule to coping with rejection and tour life, there are hardships all independent musicians face on our path to success. Wherever you're currently at in your career, we can all relate to certain struggles along the way. Here are eight that only independent musicians will understand!
1. Working multiple jobs on top of being in your band
As if that weren't enough work.
2. Getting rejected
You're too good for that label anyway.
3. Running out of food on tour
Pizza is your best friend.
4. People thinking that pursuing a music degree is an easy path
I'd like to see you do all your academic classes, as well as music classes, required performances, and practice.
5. Running out of gas on the road
AAA is a lifesaver.
6. Being asked to play "Freebird"
7. When you're expected to play for free
It's for "exposure."
8. Playing to empty rooms
What struggles have you experienced as an independent musician? Let us know in the comments below!
Kathleen Parrish is a singer and songwriter from Seattle, WA. While she specializes in lyrics, she enjoys writing short stories, poetry, and journalism. For more information, please visit www.kathleenparrish.com.